Cuz Nuz Ruth's Ramblings

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Blog's name

My family will understand the naming of this new blog site but I will give a bit of background on how the name came about. 20 years ago I started a family newspaper with my daughter as honorary editor to keep my children's scattered cousins connected. At that time my brother Bruce and sister Marie were living in Papua New Guinea with their families, and the others were living across the United States from one coast to the other. We had visited both Bruce and Marie on our return from living in Saudi Arabia and one of their comments was that they never heard from the family. After about a year back in the States we got the idea of publishing a monthly newspaper for the cousins (who were all grade school age at the time) and the name Cuz Nuz was chosen by popular vote.

My brothers and sisters and I seem to always have lived scattered. At one time not a one of us ten children lived in the same state or country as another or even the state where our parents lived. This really is not so unusual in our family as my Uncle Dave's family, which has almost as many children in it as my parents' family, are just as scattered. Figure it out, not a one is in the same state as another brother or sister. It is no longer true of my brothers and sisters but we still represent a lot of states. Our mother is in KS close to our youngest brother, while our oldest sister and youngest sister are in NC, a sister is in KY, a brother in IL, a sister in NV, another in WA, one in BC Canada, and a brother in AK while I'm in WI.

The Cuz Nuz was a big hit with my immediate family and when my folks took an issue to a family reunion I started getting requests to add my aunts and uncles to the mailing list. It wasn't long before their kids started asking for it too, so instead of just having news from the immediate family we were soon including things from first, second and third cousins. The content has vastly changed over the years also as my children and their cousins grew up. Instead of being geared to young children it now addresses adults. When it was started tho we never dreamt what a glue it would become to the extended family.

When I think back on all that, I can only say, it was God who has pulled the strings tighter around the family to keep us close and He has been the source of motivation to keep the newspaper going. Our verse is, "Happy is that people whose God is the Lord." Psalm 144:15. Our motto is "No news isn't news for anyone. Old news is new news for everyone else." - thanks to my sister in law, Julia. I am so thankful for my wonderful family and their deep love for the Lord. God bless you all.

7 Comments:

  • At 4/05/2006 11:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ruth, I have really enjoyed reading this blog. Looking forward to more. Your sis, Vonnie

     
  • At 4/06/2006 10:09 AM , Blogger An Ami in Berlin said...

    Hey, that was really special! I agree, God has pulled the strings. I like to think of you as a "glue person"--there are some people God uses to glue all of us together. Thanks for being willing to get sticky.

    Love, Lyn

     
  • At 4/06/2006 5:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mom,

    This is a cool idea. Have fun with it.

    -Ben

     
  • At 4/06/2006 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mom,

    You need to edit your links list in the right hand column. Ideas for links to put there would be a link to Renich.org as well as other family members' blogs.

    -Ben

     
  • At 4/07/2006 6:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mom,

    I see you managed to find your way back. Have fun!!

    -Jenn

     
  • At 4/08/2006 3:38 PM , Blogger Grammie Jan said...

    Great job Ruth, and I can tell you figured out how to link a whole lot faster than I did! You are now a link on my blog as well.

    It's gonna be fun keeping in touch this way as well....

    Love, Jan

     
  • At 4/11/2006 9:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ruth,
    In reading your post, I hadn't really thought about your family being scattered like Fred's--and other extended families also. I think that as the world gets "smaller" with traveling being easier than years ago, each generation is going to be just as (or more) scattered. Last year on Mother's and Father's day, we had greetings from Eugene, Northern Ireland, Mongolia, and Switzerland! Sometimes people have asked me how I can "stand" having our kids far away (I actually don't like that they ask that--like I'm some kind of "unfeeling" mother), but really I feel like how could I "stand" having them close by if they weren't doing what the Lord planned for them. I think other Renichs will understand!
    Sue

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home