Cuz Nuz Ruth's Ramblings

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day Tribute to my Mother


I just want to take the time to thank the Lord for the Mother he gave me. She is a precious lady who has a heart of gold. My husband calls her classy. I thank the Lord that she knew Him as her personal savior and so raised her family in the teachings of the Bible. I remember her being my Sunday School teacher when I was young and letting us play with her teaching material and flannel graphs as we would tell our version of the lessons. I remember her encouraging me to talk with her while she did her work... helping her hang up the laundry on the lines outside just so we could talk, sitting in the kitchen while she finished up a meal, having her teach me how to sew, combing her hair when I was younger, later learning to cut her hair and giving her perms. And always talking. So many little things I learned from her as without even trying she molded my thinking. I remember once while in Bible School in LaGrange, while still living at home since Dad was teaching in the School, one of the faculty wives told me how much she appreciated mom and how soft my mom's heart was toward the Lord, that she had so much to offer me. It was an eye opener for me, helping me to see my mother as a person, and not just as mom.

Recently she wrote her autobiography. I was so encouraged and challenged as I read of her struggles in her walk with the Lord and how God required much from her, but she so willingly gave it all back. There is a peacefulness and joy that comes thru her writing. She gave willingly of herself to submit to Dad's leadership, to be there for her kids, to be available in serving others. And the best thing is, she is still giving... not only to her family with her quilts and love and prayers - she prays for each of us daily, but to those in the retirement home where she lives as she befriends them and helps in so many little ways, and the daycare where she works and is grandma to these little kids and shows them love by her hugs. Dear Mom, you are amazing and wonderful and so very dear. and I love you so much.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/22/2006 12:59 PM , Blogger An Ami in Berlin said...

    Wow. What a beautiful tribute to your mom. She is a treasure. I always loved our times with her, and I know that she had a special place in MY mom's heart. She didn't have an easy life, but she just grew sweeter and sweeter through all the rough places. Thanks for sharing just how precious she is.

     
  • At 5/23/2006 7:07 AM , Blogger Grammie Jan said...

    And what a lovely picture of her -- both the photograph AND the word picture that you drew, Ruth!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home