Attitude
I hardly know where to start. Back a few blogs I mentioned Rich was granted the S.S. disability benefits. Since then we have been to several lawyers to see if they will take the case against the insurance company who is denying him disability. Well, we may have finally found a lawyer to take the case on a contingency basis who is based in New York state. More later on that.
In the meantime, we have been getting our home ready to sell… painting, cleaning, sorting, etc. So much to do sometimes we hardly know where to start – having an accumulation of “stuff”/“junk” from over 18 years here besides what we brought along from previous places of residence, as well as what the kids left behind when they left home. Fortunately we do not have to paint the outside of the house (we did that a couple years ago) and we are now about half finished with the inside.
Our “plans” are to move as quickly as we can get things together to get the house on the market and get it sold. So timing is very indefinite. For several years now, Rich’s health has indicated a warmer climate would be beneficial so he has done much of the research for a new location on the internet and favors the New Mexico area east of Albuquerque.
I was caught up short the other day, having been feeling sorry for myself that I must leave a home I like and the first place in my life I’ve been able to put down roots, when I was reading about the conditions which still exist down south from Katrina. The article was about a doctor who, since she set up practice in her little town in Alabama in 1990, has had to rebuild three times: two hurricanes and one fire, to serve people who have lost everything – their home and their livelihood, yet are carrying on and rebuilding at such a great cost. What do I have to complain about. I have it so much better than they!!
In the meantime, we have been getting our home ready to sell… painting, cleaning, sorting, etc. So much to do sometimes we hardly know where to start – having an accumulation of “stuff”/“junk” from over 18 years here besides what we brought along from previous places of residence, as well as what the kids left behind when they left home. Fortunately we do not have to paint the outside of the house (we did that a couple years ago) and we are now about half finished with the inside.
Our “plans” are to move as quickly as we can get things together to get the house on the market and get it sold. So timing is very indefinite. For several years now, Rich’s health has indicated a warmer climate would be beneficial so he has done much of the research for a new location on the internet and favors the New Mexico area east of Albuquerque.
I was caught up short the other day, having been feeling sorry for myself that I must leave a home I like and the first place in my life I’ve been able to put down roots, when I was reading about the conditions which still exist down south from Katrina. The article was about a doctor who, since she set up practice in her little town in Alabama in 1990, has had to rebuild three times: two hurricanes and one fire, to serve people who have lost everything – their home and their livelihood, yet are carrying on and rebuilding at such a great cost. What do I have to complain about. I have it so much better than they!!


6 Comments:
At 9/30/2006 8:25 PM ,
Grammie Jan said...
Oh Ruth -- yikes! I feel for you. We've been in our house for 24 years. I can't imagine packing it all up. But what wonderful adventures await you!!!
Love, Jan
At 9/30/2006 8:32 PM ,
CuzNuz Ruth said...
Yes I HAVE TO TRUST God knows what he is doing. This isn't the first time we've moved into the unknown - literally, but it may be one of the hardest. And "adventures await..." I think they've more than begun, but I know what you mean!
At 10/03/2006 5:55 PM ,
An Ami in Berlin said...
Oh, Ruth--my heart goes out to you. Be assured of my prayers as you say goodbye and pack up all the memories.
At 10/07/2006 5:23 PM ,
RCO said...
Speaking of warm...our temperatures have dropped from the low 90s to the middle 80s!! And we are far enough inland that the hurricanes are not usually a major concern. So if you can tolerate the humidity, which really is brutal, how about Mississippi. I'm sure home prices down here are much better than those in New Mexico!!! ;o)
At 10/30/2006 3:08 PM ,
An Ami in Berlin said...
Go for Mississippi!!!
At 10/30/2006 3:29 PM ,
CuzNuz Ruth said...
Would love to live near this branch of the family but afraid allergies would get to me.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home